Waste Free Wednesdays
Intimidated by the thought of eliminating plastic for a full month? Get into Plastic Free July training early this year by embracing something we like to call Waste Free Wednesday!
It’s as easy as it sounds – make Wednesdays the day that you are 100% mindful about the waste you generate, and if you can do it well, you’ll leave no trace (and feel more confident in cutting your waste on the six other days of the week too!).
Why is it important?
On average, Western Australians produce almost 20% more waste than those living in other states. We all need to find ways to cut waste, and this is a great way to reprogram habits if you’re not quite sure where to begin.
What does it involve?
The goal of having a Waste Free Wednesday (#WasteFreeWednesday) is to avoid throwing anything out, or indeed buying anything at all, that will end up in landfill. Items that can be recycled – assuming you do recycle them – are ok.
What preparation do I need to take?
- Think about how you’ll deal with food waste throughout the day (you could plan to eat leftovers from the fridge or compost the scraps)
- If you don’t already compost your food scraps you might want to ask your neighbours or in a community-focused Facebook group about whether you can pass on any
- Be willing to think creatively
- Think about whether you’re recycling everything you can (including the unusual items like Nespresso pods, old pens, receipts, chocolate wrappers)
- Stock up on waste-free snacks – cooking your own is a great way to avoid plastic packaging, especially if you buy the ingredients from a bulk supply store. And as a bonus, they are likely to keep you going for a few more days too!
What do I need to avoid on Wednesdays:
DAY DONE – NO WASTE. LOOK AT YOU GO!
We’d love to hear how you’re tackling Waste Free Wednesdays – tag us @ownyourimpactwa on socials and include #WasteFreeWednesday.