Whether it’s organising a low-key play-date at the park or putting on a big community event, there are plenty of ways to lead by example when it comes to waste reduction.
The Own Your Impact guide to assist others to own their impact in the community
- Encourage people to bring their own reusable bottles and cups.
- Discourage/ban balloons and straws.
- Provide adequate waste collection points – ensuring that anything that can be recycled is.
- Recruit food traders who only use biodegradable plates, cups, cutlery and straws.
- Incorporate a ‘rubbish collection’ or ‘emu-bob’ at the end of the day.
- Say no to gifts and plastic-based promotional giveaways – or ask that attendees are mindful about packaging and waste generation.
- If you are going to provide gift or lolly bags consider the impact of the items included. Avoid plastic where possible - and if you can why not aim to include items that enable people to lower their waste impact, rather than increase it!